Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Monday figure and head studies


What a way to spend a Monday. Since one of my syndicates folded last month, I've found myself with a little more time on my hands. And since figure drawing class was cancelled for the Easter Holiday, I thought I'd spend some time drawing, studying and stylizing a few more figures for future renderings. Here they are in no particular order.





These are really quick little studies. I've chosen a few to go back into with color, but that's mainly just to set a color scheme for a later illustration. I'm enjoying getting back into drawing the figure. I had no idea how much I missed it. 3 years is long enough to go without study of anatomy and figurative elements.









I'll probably use at least one of these in another drawing. I find that using the technique of breaking down the figure into (8) heads high helps to sketch these out quicker.






















I've also been experimenting with inked lines and line weight in Photoshop. At first I found it very difficult to get a tapered line with a digital pen, but with practice, it seems to be getting easier now. I've ordered a new pen from Wacom. It's called the Wacom 6D. Evidently it mimics the feel of a real brush and/or marker. We'll see.


















I also did a few "Mangaesque" head studies yesterday. I didn't want to go TOO far towards the Manga style, so I backed off a little with the one I colored and made it look a little more realistic.

No comments: