Thursday, January 15, 2009

Drawing on cardboard



Every once in a while, I decide to draw on some found cardboard, or on the back of a used up sketchbook. I thought I might post a couple of these, and comment on why. First off, when you work on cardboard, you've immediately got a mid-range skin tone color to start with. This can make establishing your color and value range in the drawing a little easier. By pushing the darks and pulling out the light with a lighter conte crayon or some white chalk, you can get a fantastic range of value. Try it sometime; you'll be amazed at the results.


Here's a male figure I did many years ago. I found this drawing buried in a portfolio this morning.



This second one was from drawing class last week. It's interesting to compare the two from so many years apart. While I think my way of making marks hasn't changed substantially, there are some subtle differences.
Tell me what you think. Do these look like they were drawn by the same person?
-Ed


No comments: