Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Location, location, location




A medical waste incinerator has been proposed for Baker County, and it looks like local residents are going to fight it. A meeting has been scheduled for tonight, and it is expected to be a packed house. I couldn't help but think about the location of potentially toxic waste sites, and how planners come up with these locations. That led me to think about other examples of bad site planning, and that led to this cartoon. My editor loved it.




I discovered something else while researching for this cartoon: when I Googled , Integrated Waste Management Systems (the company that has won the bid to build), nothing came up online. To me that was a red flag, so I called the newspaper and sure enough, this company is only 2 years old. I want someone to tell me how a company that is going to build a major facility for the disposal of potentially toxic and harmful substances has only been around for 2 years. And why is there no record of any of their other projects on the internet? Worried? Residents should be terrified, and pissed.

No comments: