Saturday, February 27, 2010

Head Studies & a little more







I've recently purchased a new Moleskine, and a new type of ink pen for figure studies. I know that I want the sketchbook to have a theme, so I've decided to start looking at portraits, heads, and likenesses of the people I draw. I'm also considering moving away from nudes for a while to experiment with the clothed, and once again, "theme" model. Staged, theatrical, dynamic, storytelling figures are what I'm after now. I think this might have something to do with the Dr. Sketchy sessions I've been attending. They've been an extremely liberating move away from the static, academic (and sometimes anemic) poses we usually draw. Way back when, in graduate school, my thesis dealt with this kind of subject matter - operatic themes that tried to tell a story. I think that this might be worth exploring again. We'll see. Anyway, in the meantime, here's a few head studies I've done over the last couple of days. These are just experiments in getting some more expression back into my drawings. I hope you enjoy them.

-Ed

No comments: