Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sunshine Sunday & other honors

I was honored on June 6th to receive the first ever Sunshine Sunday Award for Editorial Cartooning, presented by The First Amendment Foundation in Tallahassee. This is me receiving the award from FAF President, Barbara Petersen at the FSNE luncheon in Orlando. This picture makes me laugh because it looks like she doesn't want to give up the award.

Here's what they said over at their website: The First Amendment Foundation will announce our first-ever Sunshine Award for best political cartoon, op-ed/editorial, and article on open government for Sunshine Week. Sunshine Week is a national initiative to open a dialogue about the importance of open government and freedom of information. An award will be granted for each of the three categories. There is no submission fee, and any article that is posted to the Florida Society of Newspaper Editors website (www.fsne.org) is automatically entered in the contest.


That cartoon can be seen here.


On the same day, I found out that I had also won a Florida Press Association Award for our newspaper's circulation category. Here's that cartoon. I'm not surprised that it was for an Amendment One cartoon. I've been hammering away at this stupid piece of legislation since before it went to a vote.

No comments: