Friday, August 15, 2008

Proportion Studies


I finished all of my cartoons early this week, so I decided to do a couple of exercises from my Manga book. We've got figure drawing class on Sunday, so, these are really good warm-up exercises. They help me to stay sharp in terms of figurative proportions. I've mentioned this here before, but it's important to understand the geometry of the figure. It can be scientifically broken down into segments (approx. 8 heads high). Manga is really good at exploiting these proportions, so this exercise works for me. I think it would be good for any kind of artist to study the Manga technique. I fought it for a long time because I thought it was too "kiddie." But once I saw what they were trying to do, it actually ended up helping my figure drawings from life. I'll post my drawings from class here on Sunday night or Monday morning. Thanks for peeking in, and BTW, I've got a cool little Chat box now on this page. Scroll down to the bottom right column and leave me a "shout."

Happy weekend!

-Ed

No comments: