Monday, December 1, 2008

The slide continues...

Well, I got another dreaded "call" this morning. It's official, The Times Union is no longer going to be using me for it's Community News Sections. This is as bad as I've ever seen things, and I know it's not easy for my editors. They have to let go photographers, reporters, cartoonists, et al. My question is, who's gonna put the paper together when everybody is gone? The janitor? The editor? Alone? There's no one left. But they all say they're going to do what they have to to keep the papers published. We'll see. They may end up eliminating the community news sections all together. More local content eliminated. Sucks.

So, it looks like I'm gonna have to REALLY start thinking outside the box now. Hell, I'm even thinking about going back into adjuncting at the local college, but after reading this, I'm not even sure about that. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend 12 hours a day driving from University to University to pull in $25K a year. That's ludicrous.

I'll keep you updated here as to what happens next.
Ho, ho , holy sh*t...

-Ed

1 comment:

Craig Zablo said...

It sounds like a cliche, but as we've moved through the cuts in our area, the mantra, "It could always be worse... and things will get better" isn't a bad thing to keep in mind.

Hang in there and know you're not alone.