Monday, September 14, 2009

Sunday sketch





After a one month hiatus, our Sunday sketch group started back up yesterday - and it was packed. After a slow start, with a very stiff model, I think I managed to come up with a few keepers. This model was new, and I'm not quite sure she understood the dynamics of "gesture" drawing (not to mention her body type doesn't lend itself to my artistic sensibilities). Anyway, I almost turned around and left before I finished my first 20 minute sketch. But after completing that, I figured I might as well finish up the session. Luckily for me, one of my favorite models was also drawing on the other side of the room, so I positioned myself strategically for the final pose to draw just a little bit of the nude model, and a lot of Gia sketching. When I showed this drawing to my buddy Henry, he laughed and said, "you draw her so much, you could probably draw her from memory." He's probably right. The contrast between these two models could not be more striking for me. Gia is like the Earth Goddess; powerful, centered, weighted to the ground - and yesterday's nude model was just all upper torso; no hips, skinny legs - almost floating. Nothing against this model, just my preference is to draw a figure with a lot of presence. Enjoy, and as always, let me hear from you. -Ed

No comments: