Monday, January 19, 2009

Digital Sunday Sketch





















Well, I hauled my laptop into class yesterday, and overall I'm pretty happy with the results. We started as usual with some 3 minute gestures, moved on to a few 25 minute poses, and then finished up with an hour long pose. It was a VERY crowded class. I had to share my table with someone who was sketching flat on the desktop with a pad and charcoal, so if some of my marks look shaky, you'll understand why. I didn't let it bother me too much though.

This class is starting to get very popular. I'm hoping the crowds will taper off as we get into the spring. We'll see.

Here are the rest of the gestures. I'm starting to get a bit more acclimated to working on the Wacom tablet in class, but I almost have to work twice as hard at the beginning to let myself "go" and just make marks, but I think it's starting to work. You don't have too many opportunities to make digital changes on the fly with the gestures, but I'm starting to learn little tricks that allow some.








Now, onto the 25 minute poses.







This is probably my favorite drawing of the day. It doesn't feel rushed or labored over, and I like that. I was able to concentrate on the muscle structure around the chest and back, and the way the light falls on the figure.



Finally, here's the hour long pose. I worry sometimes that these can get a little "worked over," so I tend to save different versions as I work. That way, I can go back to the one before if I do some thing totally screwed up. It's a good thing too, because I darkened this one WAY too much and ended up going back to a former (better) version.

Look for more editorial and comic illustration posts in the next few days, and let me hear from you!

Cheers,
Ed

No comments: