Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Beam study




I want to get to the point where I can sketch these two characters in my sleep. I think I'm pretty much there with Beam. Her, not so much yet. I need to stylize her and her figure down to a more workable (simple) model. I'll probably go back and look at some manga stuff today. Anyway, here's a quick sketch of Beam that I did on newspaper yesterday. I then photographed it, and dragged it into Photoshop. After a series of blurs, layering, and quick B&W touch ups, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I like the way the newsprint kind of looks like metal. I'll include the original photo that I started from. Enjoy. -E


2 comments:

lordmarcus said...

Ed, I'm just a bit curious as to how you chose newspaper to draw on. Just trying something different?

Ed Hall said...

Couple of reasons. First, I've always liked working on various materials - doesn't matter what, as long as I get a variation of texture and surface. Secondly, I've been experimenting lately with not scanning - that is, taking photos of the rough pieces and dragging those into Photoshop for refinement. I find those beautiful little accidents that happen this way to be most intriguing.