Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sketchin' at the Starbucks




I've recently started a Wednesday afternoon ritual with my new bud, and comic art aficionado Henry.

We get together at our local Starbucks for some sketching, coffee and art talk. It's pretty fun, and sometimes we even get a little drawing done. Yesterday we talked about Astral Beam and I did a few sketches while we chatted. I'll post those here for you perusal.
As I've said over the past few days, I'm really happy with the design of Beam, but Astral is posing a bit more of a problem than I had originally anticipated. So, I'm drawing her more; and exploring her face; trying to decide how old I want her to look, or even how human I want her to look. I'm thinking now that more stylization (and some major exaggeration) might be in order. We'll see where that thought process leads me in the next couple of days. Here are the sketches.

2 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

Sounds like a fun time!

mick statham said...

These are great. Reminds me of Starstruck by Mike Kaluta. Toved that book.