Friday, August 3, 2007

Unintended benefits

Yesterday I needed a caricature for a cartoon on Rupert Murdoch. Problem is I've never drawn Rupert Murdoch before. So, I decided to use some of the principles of head structure I've been learning from my Preston Blair exercises to construct ol' Rupert's head. Here's what I came up with:





Notice how I tried to visualize the spherical shape of his head first (he's definitely an oval) and then build the external elements onto the oval with the eyes in their fixed positions above the center cut line and the nose just below. These are all principles discussed in the Preston Blair assignments.
I needed a caricature that I could shrink and blow up and use over and over again on various size television screens. Here's the final head (cut and pasted from Photoshop into the final cartoon). More on that later:

Turns out old Rupert has a GREAT face/head for caricaturing. Lots of folds, and flabby jowls and a big bulbous nose floating on that oval. Just awesome. I really enjoyed drawing him, and when he finally completely takes over the free world, I'll be ready!

-EH

No comments: