Sunday, August 5, 2007

Watch me develop a rough sketch



It has been brought to my attention that some people might like to see how editorial cartoon ideas develop. Well, most times they come at you like a shot out of nowhere, but sometimes you have to work at it. Here I am working on a sketch idea that has "something" to do with Bush's "structurally deficiant" brain. After watching the Sunday morning talk shows and hearing that phrase used over and over, I knew I wanted to do something with it. Notice how I change the brain in midstream to a smaller brain, I also decide to use a spine instead of a neck (I'm really kind of thinking while I'm drawing - working out issues on paper as I go along. I also don't hesitate to go back and fix the caricature. I must apologize for the poor quality of the video. I plan to do more of these shoots now that I've found my tripod, so I think I'm going to have to invest in a better camera. If you've got 5 1/2 minutes to kill, I hope you find this enjoyable. Here's the finished sketch (I may or may not use this idea - still don't think it's completely worked out).

No comments: