Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday morning warmup - rescued gesture

I thought it might be a good idea to warm up this morning by taking another one of my "junk gesture" drawings and turning it into a new Samurai-Geisha illustration. I think I might like this one the most of all the poses I've done so far. It's aggressive and passive at the same time which I find intriguing.

Here's the gesture drawing (not much to go on here).



















And here's the Samurai-Geisha. I had to invent some of the things I couldn't quite make out in the gesture drawing, but I think it came out OK. This is turning out to be a really good way for me to limber up my drawing hand on the Wacom tablet in the morning. For people struggling with drawing on the computer, I usually prescribe at least an hour a day of just sketching with your tablet. Practice your line weights, brush types, the opacity of your lines, and try to get a smooth flowing line without any jaggies. This will improve your line quality and help you to transition to digital drawing.

No comments: